I am an experienced, spiritually-based counsellor and therapist who works with families and individuals and groups. I am also a healthcare and life coach, group facilitator and trainer.
My knowledge and working experience in the fields of psychology, counselling/therapy, end-of-life and bereavement care, as well as theology and the arts extends over 25 years.
Connecting to, and processing, the suffering within my own life has enabled me to hold hope and create a healing space for the suffering of others by providing:
- attuned listening to what is weighing you down
- thoughtful, understanding and reflective responses to aid people dying and bereaved
- therapeutic coaching to reframe and build skills that make transformation possible
- group support to alleviate grief loneliness in a learning environment
- training & consultancy to better manage staff stress and grief
How I work
I use a holistic, intercultural and systemic approach to my work, paying attention to the importance of age, family role, race, culture, religious / spiritual beliefs, values, gender, as well as the realities of physical health / abilities, and the impact of socio-economic issues. I draw upon my multi-disciplinary knowledge of differing cultural beliefs and spirituality, psychology and the arts, to offer a pathway of hope – from life-limiting diagnosis and life-changing trauma to after-care from a loss or bereavement.
I have a passion for helping people to express themselves. Being creatively expressive can be very helpful for trauma and shame recovery. Because I am a classically-trained singer/musician, actress and writer, I try to incorporate these and other creative arts into my practice, if clients find it helpful. Many people find that these expressive outlets helps them to find personal meaning and hope, in order to reduce their suffering.
Frequency: Initially, I can see people weekly or fortnightly (your choice). As the work progresses and you develop the resilience to cope better, I can see you less frequently such as once a month, or occasional top up/maintenance sessions but this can be negotiated based on your needs.
Fees: I provide a range of pre-paid services so the prices will vary. Fees can be paid in a block of pre-paid sessions or on a session by session basis, depending upon the service. For example, individual therapy is £60 for a 60 minute session; family therapy is £90 for a 90 minute session, group support (with teaching) is £15 for 1.5 hours. Please enquire about the fee for the specific service you’re looking for.
My Personal Background
I have lived across different continents in four different countries and this has shaped who I am in developing awareness of cultural sensitivities and philosophies. I come from an Eastern collective culture and am well acquainted with the honour/shame system which incorporates the pressures of ancestry, extended family and community network relationships within the family dynamics.
Having also lived in Western cultures for many years, I understand and am sensitive to how differences in values within both Western and Eastern cultures can create conflict sometimes between generations, particularly around the end of life.
Free Initial Conversation
Have a 20-minute introductory conversation to discuss your needs
My Professional Experience
- NHS Primary Care, acute hospitals and hospice, as a Spiritual Care Provider, Chaplain, and team Improvement Coach
- NHS Secondary Care, Children’s and Adult Mental Health Services, Associate Therapist
- Community organisations/charities, Lead Therapist
- Education, school counselling service, Lead bereavement counsellor
- Churches, working with young people and their families for over 10 years
My varied experiences has enabled me to work readily across all age ranges, from children to the elderly, as well as across various ethnicities and faith traditions.
I am committed to equality of opportunity across the diversity of the human experience: I help individuals to use aspects of their sense of identity in order to help them find personally and culturally relevant solutions for their distress and difficulties.
Qualifications and Training
- Diploma in Systemic Practice with Families and Couples
- Certificates in Facilitating Group Therapy
- Diploma in End-of-Life Therapy
- Certificate Bereavement Counselling
- Certificate in Complicated Grief Treatment
- Certificate in Narrative Therapy (Level 2)
- Diploma in Mental Health and Young People
- Diploma and Certificate in Online Counselling
- Diploma in NLP coaching (Master Practitioner)
- Certificate in Healthcare Improvement Coaching
- Certificate in Motivational Interviewing
- Diploma in Journalism/Short Story Writing
- Certified Compassionate Bereavement Care Provider in traumatic grief
- Certified CAMS-care practitioner (Collaborative Assessment and Management of Suicidality)
- Bachelor of Arts in Historical Cultural Studies with Psychology
- Master of Divinity in Theology with Pastoral Counselling
Professional Organisation Memberships:
- ACTO (Association of Counselling & Therapy Online)
- NRPC (National Register of Psychotherapy and Counselling)
- SFBTA (Solution-Focused Brief Therapy Association)
- AFT (Association of Family Therapy)
- BAATN (Black, African and Asian Therapy Network)
- Creative Counsellors Club
- NSMHF (National Spirituality & Mental Health Forum)
- BACiP (British Association of Christians in Psychology)
- SCA (Spiritual Care Association)
- UKBHC (UK Board of Healthcare Chaplains)
- CHCC (College of Healthcare Chaplains)
- AC (Association of Coaching)
I adhere to and follow the code of ethics and framework of ACTO, NRPC, AFT, UKBHC and AC.
If you would like to connect and explore together how I could help you, please click here to contact me for a free 20-minute, no obligation initial discussion.